Thursday, 3 December 2015

Sayyeda Zaynab: Lioness of Allah

Behind the success of a man, a woman I find 
But this is no ordinary woman; she's one of a kind 
For her strength to see what she saw 
To hear what she heard, to say what she said 
Despite seeing her entire family lay dead 
Show me a woman like her and I'll praise her instead

Remember, not a tear did Zaynab shed 
For her sons Aun and Muhammad 
Until she went back and saw their empty beds
And here her strength and sacrifice is shown 
For when Husayn's companions and family were slain
She knew that alone and isolated he’d remain
And no one would be left to mourn and comfort his mother 
So Zaynab reserves her tears for her lonely brother 

But her battle didn't when Husayn they'd behead 
In fact her challenges had only just got started
Yet Zaynab had the courage to look ahead 
Knowing that Islam’s message would be hers to spread 
Whilst Sajjad from sickness lay on his deathbed
And out of tears for her father, Sakina would lay dead 
Yet still so valiantly from the forefront she led

And this is why I cannot understand
When these people from so-called 'Muslim' lands 
Claim that to men, women are inferior
I ask them if they saw Zaynab in Syria
For what a sermon she delivered 
Yazid in his throne - he quivered 
The bravery of a lady left him utterly bewildered 
But what else can be expected from the daughter of Ali?
The one unmatched in honour and bravery 
What else can be expected from the daughter of Fatima?
In dignity and justice, her mother she would mirror 

When I think of Zaynab, I think of resistance 
For the truth she fought with such persistence 
So that you and I can have a noble existence 
And her role in Karbala gives us a valuable lesson 
That regardless of the stakes, our standards we never lessen 
Because when the enemies come and to destroy us they threaten 
We fight for Zaynab with dignity as our weapon 
For this Zaynab of ours would go to any measure 
To save Islam she sacrificed her most valuable treasure 
Cuts and bruises didn't compare to when they snatched her veil
But the enemies' ploy of destroying modesty failed
For when they took her Hijab after the battle of Karbala 
An entire nation in Zaynab's name vowed to protect Hayaa
When I think of Zaynab, I see the definition of patience 
How did she have such perseverance? 
When I am faced with the most basic of trials 
I fall into a slumber and a state of denial
But here is Zaynab, given every form of affliction 
To the extent that you don't even see this happen in fiction
But by God did she have flawless conviction 
Because despite facing this corruption 
She was saving perfection 
And in her eyes, this was a blessing from her Lord 
So despite seeing Husayn put to the sword 
And alone on the battlefield, Allah he implores
Yet when she is asked about the treachery
And about all that she had to see 
She replies with 'I saw nothing but beauty' 

But her suffering still persists in the land of Shaam 
Oppressed from the moment that Abbas lost his arms 
But may Allah protect the ones defending her shrine 
For our hopes of visitation, they attempt to revive 
It is her words in the Bazaar that have kept Islam alive 
So Ya Allah, ensure that from her Ziyarat we aren't deprived
For her intercession, the Shi'a desire 
A Du'a through Zaynab, a barrier from hellfire 
For Zaynab's tragedy, our hearts truly break 
Invite us to Shaam, so we can call out Labbayk 

No comments:

Post a Comment