Thursday, 3 December 2015

Déjà Vu

We wake up in the morning and partake in our formalities
We open the paper, switch on the news, and see all forms of atrocities
Bombings over here, gunshots over there and such is the frequency
That these acts have no longer become insanity
God forbid I say, that they are somewhat a normality

But even writing these words brings pain to my heart
When did you have the audacity to start?
Tearing Allah’s world apart
Where did you get the right to take someone’s life?
When the God you claim to worship warned you of their right
Who gave you the authority to make a decision?
About who can and cannot practice their religion

But then...
But then I step back and re-evaluate history
And realise that today’s events are no longer a mystery
Because in one afternoon, I saw a brutal summary
Of all today’s oppression and tyranny
And these events live long in my memory
So when I see the headlines the news are relaying
They often come under the title: BREAKING
But for me, these calamities are hardly in the present 
They are merely a repetition of what happened on a desert

I turn on the news to discover a suicide bomber
Has entered a mosque as a Shi’a undercover
He blows up the mosque whilst worshippers pray
And to their Lord this is the last act they display
But then my mind casts back to the land of Karbala
When Husayn stops a battle to pray to Allah
But instead of joining, without hesitation
These ‘Muslims’ shoot arrows whilst he’s in prostration
But two noble companions come to his protection
And lay down their lives, so that we attain salvation

I turn on the news and find that in Peshawar
A school in the blood of children is showered
And I see the public in shock at the lack of mercy
‘These are just children but there’s no empathy’
But then my mind casts back to the land of Karbala
When a twelve year old boy asks to fight for his master
As he bends down to tie his shoe that has been undone
The enemies surround him and strike him one by one
And Husayn runs to his aid with utmost concern
But from this boy, what a story we learn
That in this transient world that is governed by power and money
He confidently says, ‘for truth, death is sweeter than honey’

I turn on the news and find video footage being spread
Of ISIS militants warning of the next victim they’ll behead
And in the midst of these threatening warnings
After a new story of death when I wake up in the morning 
I turn my attention to my period of mourning
And my mind casts back to the land of Karbala
When 72 heads from their bodies have departed
And in celebration of this massacre a party has started
So whilst the world is in shock regarding ISIS’ capability
My mind is all too familiar with this inevitability
Because in Karbala, these people had the audacity
To ensure that the family of the Prophet were slain
To the extent that not a single body remained

I turn on the news and on my screen I see
A picture of a helpless refugee
Who lies there dead, right next to the sea
And afterwards I observe the public reaction
Who rightly demand that our governments take action
Because the sight of a boy laying on the sand
Should be enough reason to take a stand
But then my mind casts back to the land of Karbala
Where I see Husayn lay his newborn on the scorching sand
And requests these enemies to feed him with their hands
But instead an arrow pierces his neck
And the number of prongs I have to double-check
For surely three prongs is too many for such an infant child
But the story of Karbala is such that nothing was too wild

I saw a man who was willing to be slaughtered
And bear the pain of knowing that his women will be brutally tortured
Knowing that they will be countlessly whipped
Knowing that the jewellery from their ears will be ruthlessly ripped
Knowing that of the Hijab on their heads they will be mercilessly stripped
But behind Karbala’s tragedy is a message of inspiration
Which is why you see his shrine with people from every nation
Because he did what he did with the purest of intentions
Husayn taught me that the power of justice will kill any oppression
So despite humanity being in a clear state of regression
Tyranny will fail
And the truth will prevail.
Yazid died.
Husayn lives.





No comments:

Post a Comment