Muharram: A Promise to Imam Husayn (as)
The month of Muharram is
coming round the corner
But this year I don't want to be an empty mourner
Enough with my tears being that of a crocodile
With my actions contradicting his perfect lifestyle
I'm tired of going to Majalis dressed in black
But then constantly failing him behind his back
Are the Kufans we curse when Husayn they betrayed
Us in disguise when Allah we disobey?
How can I cry for the dry tongue of Sakina?
When this very tongue of mine indulges in Gheebah
These eyes cry on hearing about the bruises and whips
Yet gone are my tears when so freely my standards slip
How can I cry when Zaynab's Hijab they took?
When these same eyes never stick to just one look
This daughter of Zahra sacrificed her veil
Yet shamelessly to follow in her footsteps I fail
How can I shed tears for the loss of Ali Akbar?
When I lack the respect that he had for his father
When you called out for help, I know you said my name
Forgive me Ya Husayn, I have put you to shame
How can I lament when Abbas' limbs they slayed?
When these limbs of mine to this Dunya are enslaved
When Abu Fadhl fell, Husayn's back had been broken
O Shi'a of Ali, it is time we are awoken
For this year will be different, Aba Abdillah
I am done adding tears to the eyes of Zahra
I said I'd change before but now I have the drive
This empty, failing heart with your love will survive
Whilst this heart beats Husayn, of hope there's a glimmer
That I'll never come close to the path of Shimr
For there are two types of people, Husayn or Yazid
Know that I'm Husayni and I will succeed
So Husayn call me back so I can renew my promise
I've been lying all my life, but now I'm being honest
Invite me to Karbala, so I can shout out Labbayk
For this time I mean it, regardless of what's at stake
But this year I don't want to be an empty mourner
Enough with my tears being that of a crocodile
With my actions contradicting his perfect lifestyle
I'm tired of going to Majalis dressed in black
But then constantly failing him behind his back
Are the Kufans we curse when Husayn they betrayed
Us in disguise when Allah we disobey?
How can I cry for the dry tongue of Sakina?
When this very tongue of mine indulges in Gheebah
These eyes cry on hearing about the bruises and whips
Yet gone are my tears when so freely my standards slip
How can I cry when Zaynab's Hijab they took?
When these same eyes never stick to just one look
This daughter of Zahra sacrificed her veil
Yet shamelessly to follow in her footsteps I fail
How can I shed tears for the loss of Ali Akbar?
When I lack the respect that he had for his father
When you called out for help, I know you said my name
Forgive me Ya Husayn, I have put you to shame
How can I lament when Abbas' limbs they slayed?
When these limbs of mine to this Dunya are enslaved
When Abu Fadhl fell, Husayn's back had been broken
O Shi'a of Ali, it is time we are awoken
For this year will be different, Aba Abdillah
I am done adding tears to the eyes of Zahra
I said I'd change before but now I have the drive
This empty, failing heart with your love will survive
Whilst this heart beats Husayn, of hope there's a glimmer
That I'll never come close to the path of Shimr
For there are two types of people, Husayn or Yazid
Know that I'm Husayni and I will succeed
So Husayn call me back so I can renew my promise
I've been lying all my life, but now I'm being honest
Invite me to Karbala, so I can shout out Labbayk
For this time I mean it, regardless of what's at stake
No comments:
Post a Comment